The College is located in Vom, a quiet rocky village in Plateau State, and situated 1,285 metres above sea level. The nearest towns are Bukuru and Jos and 24 kilometres to the north-east respectively. Largely because of its altitude and constant winds, Vom has a remarkably coll climate. In December and January, the nights may be extremely cold. The wet season extends from late April to middle October.
The College was established in 1941, as Veterinary School, Vom, with a total of ten students. Some of these students registered for Veterinary Assistants (Junior Course), Veterinary Assistants (Senior Course) and others as Veterinary Officers. The School has the credit of being the first Higher Institution in West Africa to produce graduate Veterinary Surgeons long before the first University was established in Nigeria, at Ibadan in 1948. The school also played a key role, especially between 1947 and 1962, in training middle level veterinary manpower for other African Countries, notably the Cameroons, Liberia, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Ethiopia and Sudan. On establishment of University College at Ibadan, it was recommended that the higher training to the Veterinary Officers’ level be consigned to the University. Consequently, the Veterinary School, Vom, discontinued the Veterinary Officers’ course in June, 1950, and thereafter concentrated entirely on running only one course, namely a 2 year Veterinary Assistants’ Course. In March, 1980, the Veterinary School was formally accorded a college status and renamed College of Animal Health and Husbandry with a mandate to award Ordinary and Higher Diplomas. With the establishment of the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) by the Federal Military Government of Nigeria, and the subsequent accreditation visitation to the College in 1983, the diploma programmes were suspended in 1988. However, with the approval granted the College by the NBTE in 1989 and 1992, for National Diploma (ND) programmes in Animal Health and Production and the Higher National Diploma (HND) in Animal Health Technology respectively new sets of students were enrolled. It will be mentioned that the College was again renamed the Federal College of Animal Health and Production Technology on the 29th January, 1991. Presently, the College offers in addition to the Diploma programmes, all the programmes listed in 2.1.0 below. All the programmes of the College have been granted full accreditation by the NBTE.